No announcement yet.

Snipe etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As and when really Leighton, but definitely got more into it over the last 2-3 years for sure.

I love the rough shooting, that's my main enjoyments. Also the duck flighting, which is just electric.

1st September; had a good afternoon on the crows. Was meant to be pigeons, but the crows were coming in thick and fast. Great sport. Must have done 60 or so cartridges, let's not go into how many were dropped!!! :>

Then went to the estuary. Geese went in the wrong direction (right for them, wrong for us!!). Not a lot about, but nice to be out anyway and to see the new grounds. Still very much early days.

2nd September; Went to the flight pond for a shot. Bad timing!! Tractors working the fields about 50 metres away, lights flashing, reversing signals beeping. Great!!! So much for the solitude of the marsh!!

Couple of mallard came in as I was walking around into position. Enough time to put one cartidge in. Hit him, but not well enough and he carried on going, sadly.

A couple more came in after that, got the first of the season, so a nice start. Not a great flight, but not much surprise really with the tractors etc. working. Will probably give it a proper shot next week now.

TT.

Comment

Not too bad then over all Steff - As you said, its nice being out there, hope that the sport picks up over the coming weeks.

Got a week at the end of October to look forward too - going over to Norfolk to visit my Uncle & Aunt - got a day beating and then a few days rough shooting / pigeon / duck etc as he has almost 9000 acres to shoot over!!

All the best,

Leighton.
      Born to fish........Forced to work!! :>

Comment

Sods law that, tractors batting about when you're trying for some sport. ::

Anyway nice evening to be out glad you had a bit of of sport anyway. Lets hope for some lovely crisp proper winter days with a slight frost on the ground. Good luck in October Leigton.
        Cheers
        Aled

ps Saw some cracking black lab x springer pups last week, for the connossieur probably totaly non PC but for a rough shooters dog??? 2 more years to go!

Comment

Nevermind, hopefully the tractors won't be there next time. I had a great time lastnight, 1 mallard, 1 teal, 1 widgeon and a goose, not bad for a couple of hours, cheers,

Mat.

Comment

What a night. I went out for the first time on my flight pond lastnight not expecting much, but it was the opposite.

The mallard started first 15 to 20 coming in at times, there were teal wizzing past also pintail, it was awsome to see this time of year. Anyway i ended up with 10 mallard in the bag, not bad for an hour's flighting, cheers,

Mat.

Comment

Well worth the effort then Mat? Fair play thats a good return & must have been encouraging for you to see good numbers at this time of the year.
              Hope that this bodes well for the rest of the season for you.

Well done!
              Born to fish........Forced to work!! :>

Comment

Cheers leighton, hopefully i'll get back on there next week. I was out at 5.30 this morning after the geese, only had a crack at some duck the geese went the wrong way, but right way for them. I best get back to making some game pies and my stew for tonight, cheers,

Mathew.

Comment

Hi guys i don't how many of you shoot but there's some numbers of duck showing up on my estuary at the moment. I ventured out lastnight had a couple of shots at the geese but sadley missed, lots of teal and widgeon moving around but they never came in range.

If anyone is interested in wildfowling in the tywyn area please pm me for further details, cheers,

Mathew.

Comment

Thanks for showing me around again last night Mathew, top notch. Not much last night, but it's like fishing, no guarantees, which is what I like.

Bass were a bit better though

Steff.

Comment

Nevermind mate maybe next time. I'm going out tonight, hopefully i'll come back with some ducks in my hand.

The bass fishing was good, don't forget to send some pics over to me, cheers,

Mat.

Comment

I went out on the fields lastnight where the ducks tend to feed in the evening, no joy, i don't think they are feeding heavily at the moment or at least on the fields.

Mat.

Comment

Cold frost last night, should be a big help in getting those woodcock over here. Must say personally my favourite quarry with a shotgun.
                          Cheers
                          Aled

Comment

Saw 2 very large fLocks of pigeon this morning, roll on November.
                            Cheers
                            Aled

Comment

Thats good to see aled. A mate of mine saw plenty the other day, hopefully i'll get up there with him and give it a bash.

I saw the first woodcock of the season on friday, also another 2 on saturday on the local shoot, bring on the cold snap, cheers,

Mathew.

Comment

Nice one Matt, i saw a woodcock last night too, pleasantly surprised.
                                Cheers
                                Aled

Comment

Working...
                                X