Snipe etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snipe etc.

9 days time will see the opening of the wildfowling season, can't wait. Good head of duck around already, and have joined a wildfowling club, which should be a right laugh, if not a little mucky!!!

Started feeding the flight pond yesterday, and saw 2 snipe, which is very early. Never seen them in August before, which may mean a hard winter ahead for either us or Scandinavia. The season, opened for them on August 12th, with the grouse, which I wasn't aware of. But will leave the numbers build up a bit first.

TT.

Duck numbers are good in my part of the West Wales as well, but ain't seen any snipe.
    We'll do some armed walking later in the winter if you fancy it.
    Tight Lines
    Aled

Comment

100% |\

I need the exercise!! And we always seem to do our bit for conservation when we're out and about Aled. :>

TT.

Comment

Nahh... its more a case of I seem to do my bit for nature conservation.:>
        Tight Lines
        Aled

Comment

Its all takeing shape now steff, i've been out with the dog earlier there were 50 or so teal knocking around and a hundred or so mallard, its not like the few thousand we get in winter, but its good for this time of year.

You'll enjoy wildfowling mate, you see things that a lot of people don't see, there's something magical about it. Also i checked on that field earlier, a lot of pigeons around, iff the weather holds, thursday should be great, i'll keep in touch,

Mat.

Comment

Can't wait! |\

Should be a right laugh mate. Picking up the 36gm steel cartridges this weekend, so will be well armed.

Steff.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
              Can't wait! |\

Should be a right laugh mate. Picking up the 36gm steel cartridges this weekend, so will be well armed.

Steff.
              Would have thought that a Carmarthenshire yuppy guy like yourself would be buying 'bismuth' shot rather than the steel Steff! :@
              Dal y slac yn dyn!

Comment

Sod that!! a. they're a load of shite and b. they're around £750 per thousand as opposed to the steel shot at £250 per 1000.

Would probably opt for Hevi-shot or TMX given the choice of the 'upmarket' stuff, but I'll miss just as well with steel!! :>

Anyway, how are those pigeons?!! Stop tickling those sharks and go pin down some fields! They must be cut or cutting soon! Homework Chuck, homework!!

Steff.

Comment

tight get! lmao!

few fields already down locally - a mate went weekend before last and managed a handful and strangely enough a bagful of Greggs special feral's .

will get out as soon as this rain stops and a few better fields are chopped.

guess september 1st will be here before I get on the woodies, so it'll be the last box of bismuth left in the safe through the chambers next for me!

tickling the sharks? :} had a cwtch with one or two, rode a few and ended up wrestling the rest - no tickling though! No time for foreplay with those big girls! Got to get stuck in |\
                  Dal y slac yn dyn!

Comment

I had a session on the woodies last week, they were difficult to decoy in with the high winds and lots of competition but we got about 60 over stubble. No shooting for a few days as the fish are in both the Conwy and Dee at the moment.

Comment

Spot on, nice one Sewinbasher. Didn't know you were a keen shot, good to have you onboard!

Got an afternoon pigeon shooting planned for Wednesday, then duck/goose flighting in the evening, should be a right laugh. Picking up a 1000 steel cartridges tonight, that should see me through!! :>

Went to feed my little flight pond last night, where 14 mallard got off, which did give me a pleasant surprise! Didn't hang around to see if anything came in as the light failed, but they certainly seem to have caught on to the feed nice and early.

Saw another snipe, which looked like it had only just come in. Should be some teal around too, with a little luck. I'll soon find out! 5 more days!!

TT.

Comment

Less than 24hrs to go!!

Anyone got plans for the opening day?

Pigeons for me then flighting on dusk, can't wait.

Fed the pond again a few days ago, around 14 mallard and a teal tried to land as I was feeding. Good to see them coming in late, as I don't want them there all day long eating away.

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
                          Less than 24hrs to go!!

Anyone got plans for the opening day?

Pigeons for me then flighting on dusk, can't wait.
                          Its going to be a day in work for me Steff!!
                          Good luck, hope that you have a good day, looking forward to your report!

Hwyl,

Leighton.
                          Born to fish........Forced to work!! :>

Comment

Are you a shooting man too Leighton? Where's your usual haunt?

Steff.

Comment

Hi Steff,
                              I have been clay shooting for the last 2 years - only go once a month for a bit of sport, nothing competitive!
                              Would like to get into rough shooting in the next couple of years though, after the major work on the house is complete and the boss lets me out!!
                              Spent a lot of my teens out with terriers and lurchers and following a local pack of hounds - but have been more interested in the shooting of late, even though I dont have any permission of my own or a gun dog. My mate has some permission but currently does not have a dog - so nothing much happening really - hence the clay shooting. Hope to get sorted for the winter after this one coming.

Do you do much shooting Steff? or is it a case of doing a bit when you can?
                              Born to fish........Forced to work!! :>

Comment

Working...
                              X