Shooting; winter 2009/10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting; winter 2009/10

As the fishing draws to a close the shooting season begins in earnest. Signs are good for a decent winter ahead; there's been a very good head of teal and snipe showing up over the last 2 weeks, which is early, especially for the snipe.

Have bagged a few teal and some mallard already, so the fly-tying kit is getting replenished too!

Was guiding on the Towy about 2 weeks ago and saw what I believe to be the first of the winter's woodcock. Great to see, and I hope they show up in good numbers soon.

TT.

Same here Steff, seen quite a few teal in recent weeks, and saw my first snipe yesterday. Have been out running at dusk, past prime woodcock country, have not seen any .....yet. Had to scrape frost off the car yesterday morning, may make a difference.
    Tight Lines
    Aled

Comment

Yup, agreed Aled, the frost should drive them over quicker, with a little luck. Taff, the cocker, is at the ready, but Bonnie is in retirement this winter, sadly.

Catch up soon,

Steff.

Comment

Fair play to old Bonnie she stuck at it well, reminded me of an ageing front row forward, plenty of experience and heart, but no longer has the legs, and as i know from experience, retirement for one of them can be very difficult! Teifi still up for it??????

Dal lan cyn hir, |\
        Tight Lines
        Aled

Comment

-1 temps at the end of this week |\
          Tight Lines
          Aled

Comment

I don't know whats going on in my part of the Tywi valley today, but there are a lot of pigeon around this morning!|\
            Shame the salmon were'nt as reliable.
            Cheers
            Aled

Comment

The -1 temps never came, and there's no sign of any for the next few weeks.:: We need a bit of frost both for the spawning salmon and to bring the woodcock in.
              Tight Lines
              Aled

Comment

Ok metcheck forecast is offering -1 temps on Tuesday, crossing my fingers!
                Tight Lines
                Aled

Comment

Nice to see a few pigeon around Aled, always great sport.

Checked the flight line for the woodcock last week; just the one to speak of. However, spoke to a friend on Tuesday and he'd seen several on a flight line near his house in Llandysul last Saturday, which was before the really rough weather. They're on the way in that is for sure.

Ducks; the teal have wised up somewhat, and are getting later coming in each time. The mallard, however, are now starting to show in decent numbers, which are providing good sport.

Snipe; a ridiculous amount around at the moment, which is great to see, especially in times where they're suppose to be declining. Took a couple of friends up on the marsh for an hour the other night and we rose between 120-150! I walked the dog, whilst they shot. They were a bit slow to say the least, and managed to bag one! The snipe population is in safe hands...

Some large wisps materialising, and have seen as many as 30 get up a the same time. The rest, and the majority, however, have been rising sporadically, which makes for better sport. Haven't shot them as yet myself this season, but Twm-Twm and I are threatening a walk soon, with Phil-Rich in tow as a bird-boy!!

Was up in the Kelso area about 2 weeks ago. The Tweed was continuing to fish poorly. Saw some nice fish on the floor of the Ednam House, the catch of the day. Spoke to a few ghillies and they reported an increase in sea-trout, which was good to hear, perhaps something to do with the decline in salmon? who knows?

I wasn't there for the fishing, sadly. I was looking after some shooters. Got invited to shoot to a drive by one of the guests, which was an experience I'll never forget. Double-gunning with a loader - certainly puts the pressure on you! Great fun though.

Looking forward to the sport ahead. Aled; you'll have to get up soon, let's get Arwel and Rhodri organised! You'll need a good supply of cartridges for the snipe though!! :>

Steff.

Comment

Yes i sincerely hope so Steff, and i'm working on an expanded return visit for you as well i hope. |\
                    Good to see your getting some sport, i'm still trying find some time, but there is method in my madness i'm stockpiling some leisure time. May have to go shopping in Cardiff Sunday, {; ......but believe me i know what i'm doing
                    Tight Lines
                    Aled

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post

Haven't shot them as yet myself this season, but Twm-Twm and I are threatening a walk soon, with Phil-Rich in tow as a bird-boy!!

Steff.
                      he's not the most obedient creature in the world mind, reckon you need a few intensive training sessions!! LOL :>
                      Dal y slac yn dyn!

Comment

:>Frost on the car this morning and some minus temperatures last night. Now this should bring some woodcock in!
                        Cheers
                        Aled

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                          he's not the most obedient creature in the world mind, reckon you need a few intensive training sessions!! LOL :>
                          Too true Chuck! However, he has been under the thumb a fair bit this year mind, showing that there are those he does obey...

:>

Originally posted by Aled View Post
                          :>Frost on the car this morning and some minus temperatures last night. Now this should bring some woodcock in!
                          Cheers
                          Aled
                          Definitely Aled! Went out Friday night to the usual flight-line; 6 came over. Went out for a walk last night on dusk (not shooting) to try and find a new flight line. Was about 100 metres off where I would need to be to shoot, but 10 came over, including 4 pairs!

They have most definitely arrived, and arrived in numbers.

Just been to feed the flight pond. Glad to say that the frost hasn't pushed the snipe off.

TT.

Comment

Good news Steff, need to get out for a walk and have a look.
                            Tight Lines
                            Aled

Comment

Woodcock passing through Bucks; we have started seeing them in numbers now whilst out shooting (and taking the odd one or two ~#) but I suspect most are heading your way

Hopefully the big numbers will be here with the next full moon given favourable winds...

TP's (Tight Patterns)
                              IanMcD

Comment

Working...
                              X