This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea-trout weight to length ratio

I couldn't find any decent mode/method for calculating the weight of a sea-trout by a given length. Everything that I found was based on trout or salmon data - I don't think either would be that accurate, unfortunately.

I tend to carry some scales in the bag and then weigh the fish in the net, deducting the weight of the net afterwards, which does give a very good and accurate reading (actually, just bought a Mclean weigh net, which should make life even easier). However, for those that don't do this, the following will be a very useful bit of kit!

Based on Towy sea-trout (spring fish by all account), the following formula has been created. Again, you can have very lean and long fish and some very fat and short fish, so it won't be fool proof, but certainly worth carrying and certainly better than what's already out there.

There's a full table and I have also done a condensed version for the majority of sizes that you are likely to want a weight on; just inches and lbs.

Hope that it's of some use to you guys.

TT.
    Attached Files

Caution

Sea-Trout-Dyfi-June-09-18.5.jpg

I have to make a comment on this table which although generally helpful should as TT has indicated be backed up if possible by an accurate weight especially for large fish. The image enclosed is a perfect example of this. This fish caught on Monday is an early Dyfi fish of 35.5". On this table it would have been over 20lb but it was not. The fish could not be revived although I tried hard for 20 minutes (a heart attack maybe due to stress?) and had sadly to be despatched. It has been weighed on verified scales at 18lb 10oz a 2lb underscore on this table. As this fish's girth is greater than half its length it would normally weigh above average for its length and as we all know early fish do weigh considerably more than fish caught after some time in the river.
    Please therefore use this solely as a guide as this fish if caught in 6 weeks time would probably have weighed between 16 and 17lb but the length would indicate something totally different!

Illtyd

Comment

good point illtyd ,nice fish shame it didnt go back ,how are you keeping i havent see you for a while hope every things good with you, billyp

Comment

Hell of a fish Illtyd! Fantastic shape, obviously had good feeding. Who was the lucky captor? Or was it the maestro himself? :>

See you Sunday.

TT.

Comment

Although my intentions are not to take fish from the river we have been issued with this table be the club I am in to help reckon the weight of fish. Although the limit for the club is six pound there seems to be a margin for ambiguity. What I would consider to be six lbs another man could consider more or less. I now carry a tape measure with me as being a new member I don't want to be reprimanded on a point of opinion. Of the fish that I have landed so far there has been quite a difference between actual weight and indicated weight according to chart. What confuses me though on this issue of size restrictions is that there is nothing mentioned with regards to salmon. We can take five a season regardless of size and yet there is no number put on what we can take relating to sewin just that they cant be more than six pound. Doesn't quite add up to me unless I'm being thick and missing the point. In theory I could extract 100 five and half pound fish from the river without any recourse. And I could also take 5 twenty pound salmon. Sounds like conservation hipocracy to me.

Comment

That table puts my PB up by 2lb!!! Happy with that!

Comment

Originally posted by mintylad View Post
              Although my intentions are not to take fish from the river we have been issued with this table be the club I am in to help reckon the weight of fish. Although the limit for the club is six pound there seems to be a margin for ambiguity. What I would consider to be six lbs another man could consider more or less. I now carry a tape measure with me as being a new member I don't want to be reprimanded on a point of opinion. Of the fish that I have landed so far there has been quite a difference between actual weight and indicated weight according to chart. What confuses me though on this issue of size restrictions is that there is nothing mentioned with regards to salmon. We can take five a season regardless of size and yet there is no number put on what we can take relating to sewin just that they cant be more than six pound. Doesn't quite add up to me unless I'm being thick and missing the point. In theory I could extract 100 five and half pound fish from the river without any recourse. And I could also take 5 twenty pound salmon. Sounds like conservation hipocracy to me.
              There are examples of rules like this all over the country mate. Hopefully the majority of anglers show constraint and don't kill too much, but there are always a few that take the pee...

Comment

Just strikes me that so much emphasis is put on conserving the Salmon stocks and yet the Sea-trout seems to take a bit of a back seat with regards to importance. We should be treating all the fish in the river with the same regard before it gets to the point where its to late to do owt about it.

Comment

Totally agree mate |\

Comment

Returned a 37.4inch sewin on the ogmore 2nite, any ideas on weight guys? Hope totget a pick up soon

Comment

Sounds like a cracking fish jj must be 16/17lb did you get a photo? Bet that put up one hell of a scrap. |\|\:>:>

Comment

Originally posted by mintylad View Post
                        Sounds like a cracking fish jj must be 16/17lb did you get a photo? Bet that put up one hell of a scrap. |\|\:>:>
                        i put some picks of it in my personal album, if someone wants to drag them over id b grateful as i cant off my phone, and yes bud, hell of a scrap

Comment

Here you go jj1
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you chris.
                            jon

Comment

when you measure a fish do you include the tail of the fish

Comment

Working...
                              X