Woodcock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodcock

Saw the first of the winter flying at dusk as I drove home on Monday night.
    There are some here.
    Cheers
    Aled

Yes I've seen few now as well. Out shooting Saturday it'll be nice to see a few then.

Comment

Definitely Aled |\

Seen a few now and this moon should really help get things moving. I believe the November full moon is the one that brings in the largest numbers.

Good head of snipe around already, which is always nice to see.

Here's hoping for a drier, harder winter.

TT.

Comment

Totally agree TT. During my last fishing trip of the season on the upper Teifi I saw a load of snipe. Maybe the milder winters in recent years have helped them a bit?
        Yep some frost and dry weather this winter please.
        Cheers
        Aled

Comment

Originally posted by Aled View Post
          Totally agree TT. During my last fishing trip of the season on the upper Teifi I saw a load of snipe. Maybe the milder winters in recent years have helped them a bit?
          Yep some frost and dry weather this winter please.
          Cheers
          Aled
          A few years ago one winter whilst taking the dog out I came across a snipe that had been decapitated,I couldn't think what had done it as the body and head were there a few feet away.after plucking some of the prized barred feathers for classic flies I went home and discovered from a friend in Belgium who'd found the same thing twice that it was infact the kill of a peregrine falcon and the first thing they do is to tear the head off and eat the brains,even stranger I've never seen a snipe or a peregrine where I live?

Comment

Originally posted by andyantiquefly View Post
            A few years ago one winter whilst taking the dog out I came across a snipe that had been decapitated,I couldn't think what had done it as the body and head were there a few feet away.after plucking some of the prized barred feathers for classic flies I went home and discovered from a friend in Belgium who'd found the same thing twice that it was infact the kill of a peregrine falcon and the first thing they do is to tear the head off and eat the brains,even stranger I've never seen a snipe or a peregrine where I live?
            Owls are good at it if they can catch them on the ground.
            I've no objection to this, after all it's their superstore.
            Often seen it on pheasant shoots as well.

Cap

Comment

Interesting comments guys.
              Cheers
              Aled

Comment

Working...
              X