Falkus & Greenhalgh, Salmon and Sea Trout Fisher's Handbook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falkus & Greenhalgh, Salmon and Sea Trout Fisher's Handbook

Falkus was working on this project in the period leading to his death and so Malcolm Greenhalgh was asked to help him finish the book.

It is a no nonsense concise book, giving clear instructions to the reader on the Falkus approach to the sport. Falkus intended the book to be a guide to success for those anglers without the time to read his earlier weighter volumes on salmon and sea trout fishing. This book while still being very nicely written, would appeal to those seeking quick practical solutions to angling dilemmas. While the book does not contain any of the imbellishments of either 'Salmon' or 'Sea Trout Fishing', it manages to concisely convey to the reader much of the same practical advice. A very useful addition to this book are clear diagrams and written step by step instructions, on how to construct the various mounts for the recommended flies. It is very much a scaled down 'how to do' book, but still well worth reading.

Unfortunately I see that this book is now very expensive. I was given my copy as a present back in the late 90's. I see that copies are now on sale for well over £100. A bit sad really as Falkus intended this to be his 'till book' on sale in every game fishing tackle shop. Judging by the secondhand values it would seem that this has not been the case, and that the book is in pretty short supply.

Phil
    Great read, highly recommended.
    50.00%
    An indifferent read.
    50.00%
    Poor read, not recommended.
    0.00%

I have it down as an Indifferent tread - but only really in comparison to his two Major works.

Comment

Picked up a leather-bound copy of this on ebay last month, which I was really pleased about, especially since they only made 75 copies |\ However, missed a standard version on ebay that ended for £7.50 last week!!! ::

It's a great little book, and I agree Phil it's a shame that it never really got the distribution it needed and/or deserved. In fact, I think very few people actually know of its existence.

I also agree with SJF, and to this end I think that it would have been a very different book had Falkus seen it through to the end. From the comments within the book, it would seem that Malcolm Greenhalgh was the lead, with Falkus being in no fit state to read or edit towards the end, sadly.

Definitely a collectors piece, and definitely worth a read.

TT.

Comment

Working...
      X