Slow moving pool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow moving pool

Hi, fishing a pool last night with very slow moving water, so having to work the fly by hand but also lined by trees so having to roll cast. Plenty fish showing until I started fishing then went completely dead. Never got so much as a little pull. Tried this pool a half dozen or so times now without success even though i know theres fish there. What's all your thoughts on fishing this type of water?
    Cheers Davy

I hope you appreciate the difficulty of offering an opinion to a situation on the very minimal information you have provided. If there are fish showing in the pool before you enter it but then not showing when you are in it I suspect that you may be causing more disturbance than the fish will tolerate either by wading or casting or a combination of both. These are factors that need establishing if I correct in my suggestion and mitigating against before we even consider the fly you are using and how you are using it. The vast majority of people will argue tooth and nail that they are not noisy anglers since nobody goes out with that intention in mind. The fact however that the fish appear to be backing away when you enter the pool cannot be disputed and you might want to consider why this might be. A half decent roll cast can be executed with very little disturbance. Even a half fumbled noisy one made in England will waken the dead in Moscow
    www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Solway View Post
      Hi, fishing a pool last night with very slow moving water, so having to work the fly by hand but also lined by trees so having to roll cast. Plenty fish showing until I started fishing then went completely dead. Never got so much as a little pull. Tried this pool a half dozen or so times now without success even though i know theres fish there. What's all your thoughts on fishing this type of water?
      Cheers Davy
      You could try a Surface Lure, even if they don't take, they usually get annoyed and splash at the Lure!

In this scenario, you would know, they had not left the pool, on their upstream migration!

There are a lot of very good and experienced forum members who will give you sound advice.

Some people suggest speeding the path of your fly in slower water!

Hope this helps and keep going.

Regards, Holly.

Comment

Working...
      X