Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Himalayan balsam

Yes folks I'm back on the case.
    What I need now are names and addresses (email will do) from people who are ready and willing to give of their time to help with this project.
    There is training to be organised in the use of Strimmer's etc, and we need to know how many heads we have.
    I would like numbers from ALL clubs/associations who have fishing on the river Teify.
    The aim is to eradicate this very invasive and destructive plant from the whole of the Teify catchment.
    I will be meeting a representative of the NRW next Friday, hopefully I'll be able to take some names with me so that the scheme can have some sort of start.
    There has been quite a bit of talking done about it's eradication on this forum and elsewhere, now let's have the do'ers.

Cap

I'll help as much as work allows cap

Richy

Comment

Cap
      Providing that it fits in with my work rota - count me in|\

Comment

Count me in Cap and well done on moving all this forward. Will a scythe be ok? I may be safer with one of them

Worth raising in the meeting next week.

TT.

Comment

I would but I've got a puncture:>:@
          theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Likewise Cap, you can add me to your list
            Cheers
            D

Comment

https://assemblyinbrief.wordpress.co...lsam-invasion/

Comment

Fungus is the way to go .Its a massive undertaking it's not just the Teifi itself but nearly every tributarie.

Comment

Regarding the fungus - I hope the infection specificity testing is solid. There are some eco-disasters out there from biological control agents gone rogue.

Cap, count me in, I'll pm my email. What will the outline plan be - to target a key trib or two in the first instance? Map and then attack?

Comment

Count me in, again providing it fits around my working hours, well done

Comment

I am with you.will pm my email

Comment

balsam

What about having a beat per person to clean up the Himalayan balsam. Try and keep a beat free of this plant each? Couple of days at it per person might make a dent in it? Just a thought?

Comment

I am certain that Cap is dedicated to making an impact on the dreaded weed but without regular support from a lot of Teifi anglers he does not have a snowballs chance in Hell.We need to get behind him and stick with it.I am going to have a go at keeping Hendy clear this year.Probably die in the attempt.If you want to join me Fiskeking you are very welcome.

Comment

would be happy to help.

Hi gd, would be happy to help. I fish Hendy quite often and will try to do my bit. I was also wondering if any work was scheduled for access around the lantern pool? It gets a bit precarious once the undergrowth starts to encroach? I would be happy to sort this myself. Would the club mind this?

Comment

We are a bit early yet for the balsam,i have noticed it is just starting to emerge. Lantern pool is a bit of problem.You can fish it from the island,if you can get across,otherwise it needs a bit of pruning/strimming on the wood side.Three of us ,you,me and Highwater|\ (who volunteered last year) can make a difference.Will PM you both.

Comment

Working...
                              X