Teifi Pollution; fund raising for habitat work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teifi Pollution; fund raising for habitat work

River Teifi pollution incident, December 2016; nothing new to report since my last update. Also, as reported previously, there is very little we can actually do about the incident itself and its ramifications. However, many wanted to donate towards the Teifi in light of the incident to help combat the polluters and generally help restore the affected habitat. The perpetrators are currently being handled by NRW and then by Fish Legal on behalf of many parties along the river.

Funds can, however, definitely be utilised to target habitat projects along the river and specifically on the upper river through ‘Teifi Rivers Trust’. The trust was set up solely with the conservation of the river in mind; not specifically for anglers, but for all river users and all animals that depend on the Teifi. A lot of information can be found on the following link, along with who to contact should you wish to donate your time to assisting the trust in the future: www.teifiriverstrust.com.

The Trust is due to merge into the ‘West Wales Rivers Trust’ in the near future. However, funds raised on the Teifi Rivers Trust ‘MyDonate’ page will be ring-fenced strictly for Teifi based projects and earmarked specifically for habitat restoration work on the Teifi. All funds will only be utilised for projects; they will not get watered down towards admin costs etc.

Please donate what you can; all funds tend to get match-funded when projects get underway, meaning your money travels a lot further.

Please share and help raise awareness of this 'MyDonate' page; we need to spread this far and wide to help restoration projects get underway. |\

https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/teifipollution

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
    River Teifi pollution incident, December 2016; nothing new to report since my last update. Also, as reported previously, there is very little we can actually do about the incident itself and its ramifications. However, many wanted to donate towards the Teifi in light of the incident to help combat the polluters and generally help restore the affected habitat. The perpetrators are currently being handled by NRW and then by Fish Legal on behalf of many parties along the river.

Funds can, however, definitely be utilised to target habitat projects along the river and specifically on the upper river through ‘Teifi Rivers Trust’. The trust was set up solely with the conservation of the river in mind; not specifically for anglers, but for all river users and all animals that depend on the Teifi. A lot of information can be found on the following link, along with who to contact should you wish to donate your time to assisting the trust in the future: www.teifiriverstrust.com.

The Trust is due to merge into the ‘West Wales Rivers Trust’ in the near future. However, funds raised on the Teifi Rivers Trust ‘MyDonate’ page will be ring-fenced strictly for Teifi based projects and earmarked specifically for habitat restoration work on the Teifi. All funds will only be utilised for projects; they will not get watered down towards admin costs etc.

Please donate what you can; all funds tend to get match-funded when projects get underway, meaning your money travels a lot further.

Please share and help raise awareness of this 'MyDonate' page; we need to spread this far and wide to help restoration projects get underway. |\

https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/teifipollution
    (:,
    It would also be a good thing if all you anglers who fish the Teify and it's tributaries to carry on subscribing to your clubs, associations etc at this time of extreme upheaval to the system.

Cap

Comment

I agree Cap|\ I have also noticed that this appeal has not moved since yesterday.Come on donate a tenner.What is that,a couple of pints of beer.The Queen of rivers cannot die.

Comment

Thanks for your initiative TT,but as ever total apathy.People would rather pay £500 for a rod or a pair of waders.Unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by grey duster View Post
          Thanks for your initiative TT,but as ever total apathy.People would rather pay £500 for a rod or a pair of waders.Unbelievable.
          Hi there GD
          I hope they do, I will give everybody more details after the committee meeting end of the week.
          All I'll say for now is, if you're looking to purchase a spinning rod or fly rod to hold on a bit.

Cap

Comment

I know you make beautiful rods Cap,but i am not paying £500:>

Comment

Originally posted by steelheadnut View Post
              Hi there GD
              I hope they do, I will give everybody more details after the committee meeting end of the week.
              All I'll say for now is, if you're looking to purchase a spinning rod or fly rod to hold on a bit.

Cap
              Hi there

Any news for us re. the above please?

Tom.

Comment

Spill the beans Cap.The river could do with some positive news|\

Comment

Cap has made a couple of amazing rods (I really do mean amazing - work of art!) that has cost him an eye watering amount of money. He has generously donated them to the club in order to raise some funds towards this.

We are working out how best to maximise the return on these as they are too good to just give away in e.g. a photo comp, for example.

How about a lottery? 49 tickets at £10 each? Even then that's about half the price each rod cost to build - yes, I am being serious :}

That would be for one rod and then we can work something else out for the other 2 that he has donated.

Thanks again Cap, you are a gent and I am in awe of your craftsmanship.

TT.

Comment

I presume they are the same rods that I have seen.They are remarkable.
                    I will support whatever is decided.

Well done Cap|\|\|\

Comment

Thank you TT for your kind words
                      GD these rods you haven't seen

Quite a few of you know that I'd lost the use of my right side early last March and have not been able to fish or much of anything really, but I will be doing some this year hopefully (there's a beautiful cane rod with spliced joints I'm hoping to christen)

I decided to make use of most, if not all of my jigs in my workshop (attic :>)
                      These past months, more for my benefit than anything else and it kept my mind focused (I do have trouble with this), when the idea comes into my mind I have to act on it immediately.
                      So the days went into building rods, I managed four and they went as gifts, two to great friends who have helped me enormously during some difficult times and the other two went as Christmas prezzies. These rods were two switch and two single handers.
                      After building those I decided to build the next three, two spin/casting rods and one fly rod using the very best of everything I had at my disposal and incorporating weaves into the area above the fore-grips, just to see if I could manage them. To say I was happy with them would be an understatement. Only trouble is, what should have taken 4-6 hours of work on each one turned into four days and that's just the weaves, one of which I had to undo after two days because of a fault.
                      They also have feather inlays which were a pain in the butt (just certain feathers though).
                      These rods have bags/sleeves which were specially made for me as well as aluminium rod tubes which I make myself and are coloured to match the rods (the but caps and thread caps are imported from the USA for my tubes.
                      After building these I knew that no one, except a very few would pay for these, given that the cost of all the materials far outweigh the top end makes on the market today.
                      The CTS blanks from New Zealand were custom made to my requirements (spin/casting rods).
                      Then we had this devastating pollution on our beautiful river Teify in December.
                      So the decision has been made to auction them off as TT has laid out in his post, but I would hope that more of you would enter into this fund raising event.
                      I will not gain a penny from this or any other auctions ALL the money raised will go towards the improvement of the river.

TT has a great idea here, and he's better than myself at working something out.
                      So save your £10.00 for this chance to obtain what I regard as a chance of winning a superb rod.
                      I hope that TT can upload pictures of the rods here and in the Current Affairs magazine that Llandysul Angling Association produces as well as on the web site.

Sincerely

Cap

Comment

Why restrict this to 49.If a form were to be put in with the next edition of current affairs,surely every member would take a punt at £10.

Comment

This thing is still at a pathetic £310.Perhaps people prefer to donate £2 a month to "save the Yeti" or some such.This is the future of the river.

Comment

Working...
                          X