No announcement yet.

Shooting; winter 2009/10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw the first one of the season last night at dusk.
    Cheers
    Aled

Comment

Tywi valley looks its winter best this morning (as it did yesterday) sadly rains arriving tonight!
      This weather and moon should bring a few more Woodcock in.
      Cheers
      Aled

Comment

Hi Aled,

It was nice having a good frost this morning - we could do with some more of that - but as you say, the rain is back with us!!
        It will be interesting if this cold snap has encouraged the woodcock to show.
        Born to fish........Forced to work!! :>

Comment

I agree Leighton, but i could really do with some time to get out. I'm going to see a childrens show Saturday with 2 excited offspring in tow!~#
          Cheers
          Aled

Comment

Aled,

Its all down to time and catching the conditions right!

I'm struggling with time too, but have a couple of hours on the clays on saturday - thats better than shopping or DIY I suppose!

Anything much about in the form of Woodcock? Not heard of much with us down here - I have not been out yet.
            Born to fish........Forced to work!! :>

Comment

No idea yet Leighton, havent been anywhere near the woods or "allts" as we call em.
              Havent seen any of the local rough shooting boys either to ask.
              Need some settled weather me thinks.
              By the way, so a mug in Trout & Salmon with the words Born to fis forced to work on it, will i get one for Christmas, no way!
              ~#
              Cheers
              Aled

Comment

A few days of settled weather promised, if you get the chance get out there. :>
                Cheers
                Aled

Comment

Wanted: Catch-up whilst walking up woodcock in S.Wales somewhere. GSOH, ample stash of sloe gin and good working spaniel to boot.

Just email/PM me!

Hope all having a good season so far!

Best regards,

Jon T

Comment

Didn't even do a trip report on our day out Aled, sorry about that!! Thanks for the cracking day though. Great to have caught up. The woodcock got the best of us though, again!! :>

It has been a strange old winter for the shooting really. Certainly a hard winter, which put stop to my snipe shooting back in November some time, sadly. The hard frost also put stop to my duck flighting, which was a major blow.

The woodcock seemed to be arounf in very healthy number this season, which was great to see. I heard of some great bags being taken.

Managed a few driven days on the pheasants, which was great fun. Even had a day out with the legendary TwmTwm!! Not only is he a great angler, he is always on target with the shooting too!!! He hit every bit of sky that he aimed at, fair play. The birds got away safely, bot boy did he blast that sky!! :>

We're going to have to organise a day out to the Treetops shooting ground lads. I need a bit (lot) of tuning myself.

Steff.

Comment

I forgot to put report in as well Steff~#

Sad about the rain, the Tywi Valley looked immaculate the following day!::/

Anyway yes plan to have a lesson or two myself over the winter, there's a very welcoming clay club just up the road need to organise an afternoon.
                      Tight Lines
                      Aled

Comment

Originally posted by Aled View Post
                        there's a very welcoming clay club just up the road need to organise an afternoon.
                        Tight Lines
                        Aled
                        Well up for that Aled! |\ count me in.

Further to that; saw a woodcock flighting at dusk yesterday on my drive home. Fantastic to see and a great way to say farewell to the shooting season. I hope they have a safe journey back to Scandinavia etc. and have a healthy breeding season. Stocks were certainly encouraging this winter.

TT.

Comment

Becasse a la barbecue!!

Comment

Bloody fantastic W&S!! Now that looks like a proper feast. Was that actually in France W&S or were you just showing off by showing how refined you are with your language skills? :@

We need to catch up this season!!! Get your arse to the Teifi!!!

Steff.

Comment

Don't suppose any of you out there have any LARGE bronze mallard by any chance?
                              Cap

Comment

Hola Steff,

It was in France, and I lived to tell the tale...by Christ are they lethal. I'd prefer it if they stuck to the cooking...though I did enjoy the pointers. Managed to slay a largish sanglier as well, but couldn't find an apple big enough to shove in his bouche!!

Off to the Dee this weekend, then will try and get down to Wales for the real thing!!

When is the Argie report coming out?

Cheers

W&S

Comment

Working...
                                X