X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugh Falkus; A life on the edge

A review by SJF:

Originally posted by SJF, Simon View Post
    Hugh Falkus: A life on the Edge, by Chris Newton, a must read for those too keen to 'pedestal' a talented but intrinsically flawed human. This Biography would be a good read even for those with no interest in fishing.
    Please feel free to add your own comments, no matter how they may contradict another person's review, as we each may view these books differently.

TT.
    Great read, highly recommended.
    100.00%
    An indifferent read
    0.00%
    Poor read, not recommended.
    0.00%

Guys you've got to read it, i was riveted, and morbidly fascinated throughout the book. HF was a great angler but i dont know if he was a great man.
    Cheers
    Aled

Comment

Sorry steffan read posts in wrong order.
      Chris Newtons book is a neutral and professional story of Hugh Falkus life, his highs and lows, let me tell you now, its very honest, and warts and all.
      HF was a great angling writer, but other aspects of life?? They need to be questioned. Three marriages, a long affair, children he hardly saw? And a lot more, Hello magazine has nothing on this chap i can tell you.
      Have a read and i've got some very small personal comments to add.
      Cheers
      Aled
      Last edited by Aled; 08-12-2008, 09:13.

Comment

In my opinion it is a very fine book indeed, a rivitting and slightly disturbing read. If, like me, you have read the entire works of Falkus, including his two autobiographical volumes - Chris Newtons book comes as a revellation.

Falkus was a great writer and film maker, but also a bit of a Walter Mitty. As I said in the other post - this is a book worthy to be read as a facinating biography of a fascinating man, that he fished is almost a side issue.

Comment

Thanks for the reviews. Hopefully soon to be heading my way courtesy of santa.|\

Phil

Comment

Personal comments to add:
            For those of you who have read the book you will be aware of Hugh's affair, (i believe she was called Romille) and the time he lived in Wales during the
            80's. I used to beat on a shoot here in Carmarthenshire back then as a teenager. HF turned up to shoot with a rather attractive woman half his age. I remember thinking then "i'm sure he's married to a woman called Kathleen".
            HF also seemed to put it bluntly "passed his best" but when you consider the illness he suffered we should not really be that surprised.
            Terry Thomas was also a regular gun on this shoot, personally i always found him sociable and friendly.
            Cheers
            Aled

Comment

Working...
            X