Riffle Hitch Tube Flies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riffle Hitch Tube Flies

Hi there to all forum members and a Merry Xmas, Happy New Year and tight lines for 2017.

I have just been having a go at tying some of the above, to experiment next season, I have made a hole perpendicular to the bore of the tube and this is where I intend to feed my line to start with.

I am assuming that by making the hole perpendicular to the hole, then I know the tube will be fishing uppermost!

I have tied them as Silver Stoat's Tail, with the dressing top and bottom; next to the hole in the top.

Any comment/s, would be most welcome.

Thanks in anticipation, holly.

Originally posted by holly View Post
    Hi there to all forum members and a Merry Xmas, Happy New Year and tight lines for 2017.

I have just been having a go at tying some of the above, to experiment next season, I have made a hole perpendicular to the bore of the tube and this is where I intend to feed my line to start with.

I am assuming that by making the hole perpendicular to the hole, then I know the tube will be fishing uppermost!

I have tied them as Silver Stoat's Tail, with the dressing top and bottom; next to the hole in the top.

Any comment/s, would be most welcome.

Thanks in anticipation, holly.
    Hey Holly,

I have been fortunate to fish quite a bit in Iceland where hitching is often the 'go-to' method for salmon. I have also seen it work amazingly well on the likes of the Rio Grande in Argentina for the sea trout there.

Whilst I have used the method quite a lot abroad, I cannot honestly say that I have done much with it closer to home. However, more than happy to share what I have learnt.

There are many ways of making the hole and it can be a very personal thing. Some just take the hot needle straight through the tube, piercing both sides on a straight angle at the same time. Some make just one hole in the centre of the underside. Others (and perhaps most commonly) do as you have done; two separate holes and running at an angle down the tube. To be honest your method will probably get the best fishing angle and presentation. Whether this makes a difference to the fish and catch rate is another matter. Just remember to use both holes depending on which side of the river you are fishing and switch accordingly.

Dressing; to be honest I think this has very little to do with their success, especially in the smaller sizes. It's more about what they achieve than the actual dressing. Stick with a green butt, stoat or silver stoat and I'm sure you won't go far wrong |\ Just make sure to have them in a few sizes and do not be shy about fishing them REALLY small!

Beyond that, just make sure they skate/wake; the current will dictate this and then your retrieve speed (if needed). I have had great success fishing them square with a rolly-polly retrieve when no current exists. Exciting stuff that is for sure!

Tight lines,

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
      Hey Holly,

I have been fortunate to fish quite a bit in Iceland where hitching is often the 'go-to' method for salmon. I have also seen it work amazingly well on the likes of the Rio Grande in Argentina for the sea trout there.

Whilst I have used the method quite a lot abroad, I cannot honestly say that I have done much with it closer to home. However, more than happy to share what I have learnt.

There are many ways of making the hole and it can be a very personal thing. Some just take the hot needle straight through the tube, piercing both sides on a straight angle at the same time. Some make just one hole in the centre of the underside. Others (and perhaps most commonly) do as you have done; two separate holes and running at an angle down the tube. To be honest your method will probably get the best fishing angle and presentation. Whether this makes a difference to the fish and catch rate is another matter. Just remember to use both holes depending on which side of the river you are fishing and switch accordingly.

Dressing; to be honest I think this has very little to do with their success, especially in the smaller sizes. It's more about what they achieve than the actual dressing. Stick with a green butt, stoat or silver stoat and I'm sure you won't go far wrong |\ Just make sure to have them in a few sizes and do not be shy about fishing them REALLY small!

Beyond that, just make sure they skate/wake; the current will dictate this and then your retrieve speed (if needed). I have had great success fishing them square with a rolly-polly retrieve when no current exists. Exciting stuff that is for sure!

Tight lines,

TT.
      Cheers TT, I will experiment next season, however, I am quite happy to fish with a muddler type surface lure.
      Should you be in the vicinity of the River Lune, June, July or August, please get in touch, we can then have a cast.
      Regards, holly.

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
        Cheers TT, I will experiment next season, however, I am quite happy to fish with a muddler type surface lure.
        Should you be in the vicinity of the River Lune, June, July or August, please get in touch, we can then have a cast.
        Regards, holly.
        Thanks Holly |\

As an aside; I doubt a muddler vs. hitch would make very little difference at night. As such, definitely best and easier to stick with a muddler as there are less things that can go wrong for sure. In the daytime I then believe you can achieve something very different with a hitch and perhaps when it would come into its own.

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
          Thanks Holly |\

As an aside; I doubt a muddler vs. hitch would make very little difference at night. As such, definitely best and easier to stick with a muddler as there are less things that can go wrong for sure. In the daytime I then believe you can achieve something very different with a hitch and perhaps when it would come into its own.

TT.
          Many thanks TT.

I can see what you mean and the muddler has worked very well at night for both my colleague and I, when Sea Trout Fishing.
          The water was up and down last season on the Lune like a yo - yo.
          My colleague achieved 25 cracking Sea Trout last season, and returned 20, 90% taken on the muddler.
          Initially, the post was done to achieve interest and indeed advice, makes a lovely change from visiting the TES forum.
          Should I be asked, "if you were only allowed to use two flies, when fishing for night Sea Trout, which two would they be".
          The answer would be, a silver stoat's tail 1/2 inch tube and a black muddler.
          Regards, holly.

Comment

Out of season test...

Hi there holly,
            Just read your post and thought I would mention that when estuary fishing last week with wakes and riffles the Bass, which are still around the South and West coasts in some numbers, were going great guns [but only at full high and dead low water for some reason]. So if want to give your pattern a try-out and you have a chance to get out to the coast....... |\

Comment

Originally posted by Wye me? View Post
              Hi there holly,
              Just read your post and thought I would mention that when estuary fishing last week with wakes and riffles the Bass, which are still around the South and West coasts in some numbers, were going great guns [but only at full high and dead low water for some reason]. So if want to give your pattern a try-out and you have a chance to get out to the coast....... |\
              Cheers Wye me, for your post.

I find the above information helps, because, we are usually fishing for night Sea Trout at or below summer level; which is the optimum level!

Were you fishing the riffle tubes very quickly for the Bass, or, some other method of moving the tube?

I will not be able to try the riffle tubes while next summer, however, thanks again for the post.

Cheers, holly.

Comment

Working...
              X