Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jungle cock

Evening all.

Just wondering is it worth tying jc more to the underside of a fly instead of on top. My thinking behind this is question is that if your fly is swimming above a fish and the jc is on top it's out of view therefore rendered irrelevant. Whereas if tied on the bottom it would be visible to the fish? Just a thought any feedback from you gents grealy appreciated.

Mintylad.

I don't think it matters if you have jc or not I think it's another that catches the angler rather than the fish eg those flies I did for the swap catch just as well without jc as it does with it, to me it finishes off the fly better with it |\
    theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

mintylad - if you look at "The boyo fly by Umbra veteran Illtyd Griffiths", he has the jungle cock underneath and seems to swear by it. But when you only catch the odd salmon like me, how do I know whether that salmon would have gone for a fly tied in the convential manner, but Illtyd knows a thing or two about fishing !!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mepps4me View Post
        mintylad - if you look at "The boyo fly by Umbra veteran Illtyd Griffiths", he has the jungle cock underneath and seems to swear by it. But when you only catch the odd salmon like me, how do I know whether that salmon would have gone for a fly tied in the convential manner, but Illtyd knows a thing or two about fishing !!!!!!

A most interesting opinion you offer. It may however not necessarily be shared by everyone who knows him.

As regards the positioning of jungle cock eyes relative to the body of a fly who really knows in which plane the fly is swimming relative to the flow of water in the pool. For that matter who even knows in which plane the fish approaches the fly.
        www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Indeed it's these unanswered questions that are the most intriguing. Scratch your head and rub your chin I suppose you just have to make your own mind up and tell everyone you've cracked it when luck comes your way. I suppose jc or not the longer your fly is in the water the better chance you have of catching a little blighter! ;-)

Comment

JC or not JC?

Hi all

My thoughts, although from a general all round fishing perspective(no pun intended) are that, most predatory fish on seeing a small potential meal in the water moving along but upside down as it were, would to my mind, assume it was in distress and therefore an easy target and make it more attractive to attack.

Tom:?

Comment

Originally posted by Thom View Post
              Hi all

My thoughts, although from a general all round fishing perspective(no pun intended) are that, most predatory fish on seeing a small potential meal in the water moving along but upside down as it were, would to my mind, assume it was in distress and therefore an easy target and make it more attractive to attack.

Tom:?

A reasonable suggestion you put forward. Only Mr and Mrs Salmon know the conclusive answer of course but I would not be in a hurry to contradict what you put forward. It might explain why on a Saturday morning when I am asleep on the settee upside down with a whopping hangover after a Friday night on the lash why my wife, an obvious predator sees little old me as easy prey and wants to beat the crap out of me :>
              Last edited by laffingravy; 01-05-2015, 08:14.
              www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
                A reasonable suggestion you put forward. Only Mr and Mrs Salmon know the conclusive answer of course but I would not be in a hurry to contradict what you put forward. It might explain why on a Saturday morning when I am asleep on the settee upside down with a whopping hangover after a Friday night on the lash why my wife, an obvious predator sees little old me as easy prey and wants to best the crap out of me :>
                Ha.ha! And deservedly so, you old invertebrate-sorry, inveterate.

Tom|\

Comment

JC is very much a an indulgence in most patterns - I love the stuff and I think it finishes some flies off whereas they would look very incomplete without this simple, but expensive addition.

Does it catch more fish? Questionable. Was that non-committal enough? :>

I believe it does provide a good strike point, but can also be too bold in certain conditions too.

As for having them on the underside; unless a fish is lying very deep and the fly fishing very shallow the fly will enter the fish's vision cone a lot earlier than we think and this will almost never be from beneath. Unless you are fishing the fly at a very shallow angle as opposed to swinging it across the current the fish is more likely to see the side of the fly than the underside, which then gives reason to placing the strike point in that position. Again, this will depend on the angle of the cast, depth of the fly and depth of the fish.

TT.

Comment

Working...
                  X