Tube Flies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Flies

I have had a conversation today, with a very experienced Sea Trout Fisher and Fly Dresser, with reference to dressing top an bottom of the tube.

He suggested that a tube fly dressed with equal length top and bottom would tend to fish on its side!

The suggestion is that the top dressing should always be longer than the bottom dressing to achieve correct positional movement, i.e. with the wing perpendicular to the water.

All constructive comments would be appreciated.

Regards, holly.

Unless the dressing is exactly (within reason) split top & bottom the I have found that tubes can spin a lot in the water causing line twist. Can be counteracted to some extent by using a single hook rather than a treble at the business end. I try any fly I am putting on my leader in daylight as have had a couple of "sideways swimmers" in the past!

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyer View Post
      Unless the dressing is exactly (within reason) split top & bottom the I have found that tubes can spin a lot in the water causing line twist. Can be counteracted to some extent by using a single hook rather than a treble at the business end. I try any fly I am putting on my leader in daylight as have had a couple of "sideways swimmers" in the past!
      Cheers Sawyer.

That is exactly what the other chap said.

Are you using the circle c single hooks and, if so, what size and type do you suggest.

Regards, holly.

Comment

If you want to dress a tube with a long wing on the bottom as well as the top then you better off tying the wing all the way around the tube so you have equal proportions top, bottom and sides this way it does not matter how the tube fishes as there is no top and bottom.
        I prefer to dress mine with a shorter bunch of hackle or pinch of fox on the bottom to around half the length of the tube

Comment

Originally posted by alun View Post
          If you want to dress a tube with a long wing on the bottom as well as the top then you better off tying the wing all the way around the tube so you have equal proportions top, bottom and sides this way it does not matter how the tube fishes as there is no top and bottom.
          I prefer to dress mine with a shorter bunch of hackle or pinch of fox on the bottom to around half the length of the tube
          Cheers Alun.

I can see the advantage of dressing all the way round.

Regards, HH.

Comment

Originally posted by alun View Post
            I would second that |\

Holly; for the single hooks try the partridge nordic tube singles. They are perfect. Sizes 8-4 being the most useful.

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
              I would second that |\

Holly; for the single hooks try the partridge nordic tube singles. They are perfect. Sizes 8-4 being the most useful.

TT.
              Cheers TT, it is very nice to know that you can always get constructive advice from this forum, very much appreciated.

Regards, HH.

Comment

I tend to use size 4/6 short shank carp hooks when needed, also like the Loop tube doubles, pricey though

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
                  Cheers TT, it is very nice to know that you can always get constructive advice from this forum, very much appreciated.

Regards, HH.
                  My pleasure |\

Have posted these before, but you may find these links of use/interest:

http://www.hairrigs.com/coarse-carp-...-rapier-series

http://www.nashtackle.co.uk/products/view/fang-gaper

http://www.partridge-of-redditch.co....ic-tube-single

TT.

Comment

Working...
                  X